Wednesday, January 16, 2013

green smoothie goodness

Today is apparently just not happening. So I decided to write another blog post. This is one I've been meaning to write for a few days now, and now is better than never.

If you spend any time at all on the internet (and let's face it, who doesn't?), you have seen people posting about green smoothies. There are many books on the subject, as well. It seems that almost every blog I read has an obligatory green smoothie post. Now it's my turn, though I sadly don't have any pretty pictures because I fail at life. Just kidding, but I do have a failure of a camera. Anyway.

In my quest to be healthier, I realized I needed to eat more fruit. Truthfully, I just needed to eat fruit. Veggies, I'm good with. Fruit, on the other hand...well, textures and sensitive teeth were getting in the way. And sometimes the tastes are just too strong. Seriously. So I knew the solution to my fruit problem would be to get on the green smoothie train. Especially because the point of a "green" smoothie is that you incorporate greens into the smoothie, such as spinach or kale. And hey, I like greens! (My sister used to call me a rabbit because I loved lettuce and salads so much...but that's a story for another time.)

Green smoothies, then. Well, I stocked up on frozen fruit (strawberries, blueberries, mixed berries, and mango), bananas (because I love them), spinach, and kale last week. I also purchased some almond milk because I needed it for a soup recipe and I thought it'd be a good dairy-free way to thicken up my smoothies. Last Wednesday morning I made my first smoothie, and my poor blender hasn't really gotten a rest since. I've tried so many combinations that I can't remember them all to share with you, but here's one that I really liked:

Green Smoothie

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups baby spinach
  • a handful or so frozen strawberries (slightly thawed)
  • a handful frozen blueberries (slightly thawed)
  • 1 banana
  • 1 cup almond milk
 Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. You'll probably have to vary the settings a bit to get a truly smooth smoothie. Pour into a glass and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment